Tuesday, September 29, 2020
The Electoral Observatory of the Egyptian Coalition for Human Rights and the Forum for Development and Human Rights Dialogue organization on Tuesday issued a study entitled “Trying to understand the mass of candidates for individual seats in the 2020 Parliamentary elections”, (quantitative analysis study)
The study is part of the follow-up to the Electoral Observatory for the 2020 House of Representatives Elections, the third study, in which the Observatory had earlier issued two studies, the first entitled “LegislativeEnvironment for the 2020 House elections” on September 18, 2020, and the second study entitled “The General Climate of the 2020 House elections” on September 26, 2020.
The study, prepared by electoral systems researcher Mohammed Al-Shantnawi, contained a number of observations, the most important of which are:
- The number of independent candidates is 3,172, representing 78% of the total candidates, compared to 879 party candidates representing 22% of the candidates.
- With regard to the classification ofcandidates for the 2020 Parliamentary elections according to the type of candidacy in each province of Ali Hada, Cairo province came in the lead with 100 candidates from both parties compared to 339 independent candidates, while the province of Al-Wadi Al-Jadid was the least conservative with 7 party candidates compared to 18 individual candidates.
- The representation of the parties participating in the 2020 parliamentary elections is 25% with 36 of the 108 parties known in Egypt.
- With regard to the number of party candidates for each party, the Future ofWatan party came from a partywith 285 candidates, followed by the Hama al-Watan party with 120 candidates, while the parties, will of a generation, the new constitutional liberals, human rights and citizenship, Egypt is a country, the lowest party with (1) candidates.
- The top five parties in terms of the number of candidates, the Future of Watan party with 285 candidates, the Hama al-Watan party with 120 candidates, the New Wafd Party 67 candidates, the Republican People’s Party with 59 candidates, the Freedom Party with 50 candidates.
- While the five lowest parties in terms of the number of candidates, the Free Egyptian Edifice Party had 2 candidates, the will of a generation, the new constitutional liberals, human rights and citizenship, Egypt is my country, with (1) candidates each.
- Five governorates were for two party candidates, Cairo governorate with100 candidates, Giza Governorate 72 candidates, Sharqiya Governorate 65 candidates, Daqahliya governorate 59 candidates, Sohag governorate 59 candidates.
- While the five least provinces for two party candidates, North Sinai province with 9 candidates, New Valley Governorate 7 candidates, Marsa Matrouh governorate 6 candidates, Suez Province 5 candidates, while South Sinai province came with 3 candidates.
- Thirty-six female party candidates came in 4percent of all party candidates, compared to 843 males with 96 percent.
- In terms of the ranking of the provinces according to the number of independent candidates, Cairo governorate came with 339, followed by the province of Daqahliya with 300, then Giza governorate with 292, while the province of South Sinai came the least provinces with 8 independent candidates.